How can WE help?
Our primary goals are to support the South Lakes administration, teachers, and staff in providing a hospitable environment for learning, to help facilitate communication with our SLHS families, and to provide praise and recognition for our students and staff. As a member of the Fairfax County, Virginia, and National PTSAs, we support their work for all U.S. school children and educators. Specifically, we:
- Prepare and serve Welcome Back and Teacher Appreciation meals to the entire school staff
- Offer engaging programs and informative community-oriented meetings on the second Wednesday of each month
- Run free essay writing clinics for both college applications and IB essays
- Support the student government in their school spirit activities from Homecoming through Prom
- Provide funds for teacher mini-grants, purchasing specialty equipment, supplies, and experiences for academic departments as needed
- Fund several thousand dollars in college scholarships
- Plan and run an amazing All Night Grad Party where our graduates celebrate together in a safe setting
- Foster communication and relationships between the diverse communities and entities that make up SLHS
- Help to support and build community by matching volunteers and SLHS needs
How can YOU help?
- Become a PTSA member. Membership
funds support our goals. Invest in your
children and our community. Students: Invest in yourself.
- Volunteer. Find one or two things, and do
them well. Help with the Book Drive, deal
cards at the ANGP, make a casserole during
Staff Appreciation, take out the trash when
its all done. It feels really good.
- Show gratitude. Tell someone thanks for
making South Lakes great. Everyone who
showed up today contributed: making the
computers work, sweeping the floor,
scheduling the rooms, answering the
phones, passing on interesting knowledge,
relaying that really funny story. Those
things make each each day fantastic.
SLHS PTSA President
Next PTSA Meeting
Wednesday, September 13th, 2017
Fairfax County Public Schools Standard Calendar for School Year 2017-2018
The PTSA is pleased to announce we've added a SPECIAL EDUCATION CHAIR to our team.
For further information, please check out the Special Education page
It’s here! The Pantry at South Lakes High School
The PTSA officially opened the doors to the new Pantry at South Lakes High School. The Pantry will be a place where students in need can “shop” for free food and toiletry items to tide them over for weekends and evenings. Find out more about the Pantry and how you can help.
SLHS 2017-2018 Book Sales Fundraiser
Purchase SLHS Reading assignment books through Scrawl Books and 10% of every purchase will be donated to the South Lakes PTSA. Free delivery in Reston and Herndon.
Frequently Asked Questions
2017-2018 school year Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Brochure is now available. It provides answers to commonly questions about SLHS for the families of rising 9th graders, students new to the school, and others. The FAQ is provided as a service by SLHS PTSA via the Academic Boosters.