In our backyard
- Fairfax County is offering its residents resources to alleviate the impact of the shutdown. These include: free Connector bus rides and assistance with child care. Click here for details.
- Fairfax County Public Schools hires about one thousand substitute teachers every day. They have streamlined the hiring procedure in order to accommodate furloughed federal employees interested in substitute teaching positions. Visit this page for details and job application. Anyone interested in serving as a substitute teacher should complete an application for employment. Candidates will need original documents required for form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification. Background checks are required for all FCPS employees and volunteers. Additional details, including a link to the employment application, can be found online.
- The South Lakes Pantry offers food and toiletries at no cost. It serves students and families in the SLHS Pyramid (Student ID required). Pantry hours for families are Thursdays 3-5:30pm and Fridays 3-3:30pm. Order forms for SLHS students are available in the main office and sub schools. For more info click here.
- Seahawks Outfitters offers gently used clothes and outerwear in a variety of sizes. Students can visit room 331 on Thursdays and Fridays from 3:00-4:00 to pick up the items of clothing they need.
Elsewhere, highlights from a TODAY article include:
- Verizon Wireless is allowing federal employees to set up payment plans for the future to help them save cash. And First Oklahoma Bank allowed federal employees to act as if their money arrived so they could pay their mortgage and buy groceries.
- Uber and Lyft are hiring furloughed federal employees.
- Airbnb started a program, A Night on Us, where it will give up to an additional $110 to any federal executive branch employee who hosts an experience or a three-night stay from Dec. 18, 2018 to March 18, 2019.
- And for families needing a little fun, Sky Zone is providing free 60-minute jump sessions to federal employees and their immediate family members every Tuesday through Thursday until Jan. 31.
Also, several utility companies including Dominion and Washington Gas have set up programs that allow payment flexibility for federal workers, and a Falls Church barbershop is offering free haircuts. Read more here.
- Alamo Drafthouse Cinema locations in Ashburn, Charlottesville, Winchester and Woodbridge, Va., are giving out one free movie ticket per day to federal employees eager to catch any new or current release.
- Washington, DC’s Newseum is offering free admission to furloughed workers.
- The Alexandria, Va.-based Fibre Space yarn shop is offering free knitting classes to furloughed workers and contractors — its third time extending such an offer during a shutdown.
- Until the government shutdown ends, any government employee can receive one complimentary Mom’s Ricotta Meatballs + Spaghetti entrée at any of the Romano’s Macaroni Grill locations. This is during lunch when they show their credentials (federal ID) while dining-in between 11 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- The Washington Area New Automobile Dealers Association, which includes Beyer Auto, Fitzgerald Auto Mall, Alexandria Hyundai and Brown’s Car Stores, are offering a Shutdown Assistance Program For Vehicle Owners. That is, federal employees who are currently furloughed because of the shutdown would be able to get their cars serviced and repaired at participating dealers but have payment for the work deferred until after the government fully reopens. Customers are encouraged to speak to the individual dealership chains to work out a payment agreement that works for them.
Please write to email@example.com if you have more resources to add to this page.