How can WE help?
Our primary goals are to support the South Lakes administration, teachers, and staff in providing a hospitable environment for learning, to help facilitate communication with our SLHS families, and to provide praise and recognition for our students and staff. As a member of the Fairfax County, Virginia, and National PTSAs, we support their work for all U.S. school children and educators. Specifically, we:
- Prepare and serve Welcome Back and Teacher Appreciation meals to the entire school staff
- Offer engaging programs and informative community-oriented meetings on the second Wednesday of each month
- Run free essay writing clinics for both college applications and IB essays
- Support the student government in their school spirit activities from Homecoming through Prom
- Provide funds for teacher mini-grants, purchasing specialty equipment, supplies, and experiences for academic departments as needed
- Fund several thousand dollars in college scholarships
- Plan and run an amazing All Night Grad Party where our graduates celebrate together in a safe setting
- Foster communication and relationships between the diverse communities and entities that make up SLHS
- Help to support and build community by matching volunteers and SLHS needs
How can YOU help?
- Become a PTSA member. Membership funds support our goals. Invest in our children and our community. Students: Invest in yourselves.
- Volunteer. Find one or two things, and do them well. Help with the Book Drive, deal cards at the ANGP, make a casserole during Staff Appreciation, take out the trash when its all done. It feels really good.
- Show gratitude. Tell someone thanks for making South Lakes great. Everyone who showed up today contributed: making the computers work, sweeping the floor, scheduling the rooms, answering the phones, passing on interesting knowledge, relaying that really funny story. Those things make each each day fantastic.