How can WE help?
Our primary goals are to support the South Lakes administration, teachers, and staff in providing a hospitable environment for learning, to help facilitate communication with our SLHS families, and to provide praise and recognition for our students and staff. As a member of the Fairfax County, Virginia, and National PTSAs, we support their work for all U.S. school children and educators. Specifically, we:
- Prepare and serve Welcome Back and Teacher Appreciation meals to the entire school staff
- Offer engaging programs and informative community-oriented meetings on the second Wednesday of each month
- Run free essay writing clinics for both college applications and IB essays
- Support the student government in their school spirit activities from Homecoming through Prom
- Provide funds for teacher mini-grants, purchasing specialty equipment, supplies, and experiences for academic departments as needed
- Fund several thousand dollars in college scholarships
- Plan and run an amazing All Night Grad Party where our graduates celebrate together in a safe setting
- Foster communication and relationships between the diverse communities and entities that make up SLHS
- Help to support and build community by matching volunteers and SLHS needs
How can YOU help?
- Become a PTSA member. Membership funds support our goals. Invest in your children and our community. Students: Invest in yourselves.
- Volunteer. Find one or two things, and do them well. Help with the Book Drive, deal cards at the ANGP, make a casserole during Staff Appreciation, take out the trash when its all done. It feels really good.
- Show gratitude. Tell someone thanks for making South Lakes great. Everyone who showed up today contributed: making the computers work, sweeping the floor, scheduling the rooms, answering the phones, passing on interesting knowledge, relaying that really funny story. Those things make each each day fantastic.
SLHS PTSA President