We are working with school administration and local partners to make sure our most vulnerable families have support during the closure of Fairfax County Public Schools and the summer months. We appreciate your flexibility in the evolving situation and will continue to provide updates to Pantry shoppers, volunteers, and donors via the SLHS PTSA Website and the SLHS PTSA Facebook page.
We currently are collecting items at Good Shepherd Lutheran Church in Herndon. We are encouraging direct shipping, however, we know that some of you have some excess food and toiletries to donate. There will be a ‘no-contact’ collection on Mondays 2pm-4pm and Wednesdays 10am-noon.
The address is: Good Shepherd Lutheran Church; 1133 Reston Ave., Herndon, VA 20170
We are trying to keep the collection and packing simple. Here is what we are looking for:
Food: Pasta sauce, Canned tomatoes, Pasta, Dry rice and beans, Cereal and Oatmeal, Oil (smaller bottles), Peanut butter, Crackers, Microwave popcorn, Granola bars, Canned fruit/applesauce, Canned tuna, Canned veggies
Toiletries: Bar soap, Toilet Paper (we break up packages into 1 roll/bag), Toothbrushes, Toothpaste, Shampoo, Deodorant, Maxi pads
We are so incredibly grateful for the ability to use Good Shepherd Lutheran Church to collect and pack food. Thank you for your continued support of the Pantry!
The Pantry is offering a limited distribution of “grab and go” bags for students and families in the SLHS Pyramid on Thursdays from 11am to 11:30am by the main entrance of the school. Please check this site every Thursday morning for the most up to date information on our operating status.
If you are a Pantry shopper and need additional food assistance, please contact the Capital Area Food Bank at 202.644.9807 or go online here
About the Pantry
The SLHS PTSA Food Pantry is available for students and families in the SLHS Pyramid.
The Pantry is open for student shopping after school on Thursdays until 5:30pm and on Fridays until 3:30pm.
Families are invited to shop on Thursdays between 3:30pm and 5:30pm.
We’ve heard many of you asking how you can support families in need. We are more than happy to accept your donations Monday through Friday in the main office. Most needed items are cooking oil, dried beans, rice, tuna, pasta, pasta/tomato sauce, cereal, granola bars, applesauce, and toiletries of all kinds
- A place where students in the South Lakes High School Pyramid can “shop” for food and toiletries
- Designed to help close the hunger and nutrition gap for the 30% of SLHS students who are on free and reduced lunch (approximately 730 students)
- Distribution focuses on weekends and summer
- Since April 2017 distributed 12,000 bags of food and toiletries (that’s more than 1,750 full shopping carts)
- Weekly orders rapidly increasing from 30 students/week at launch to 120-140/week and still growing
- 120,000+ items collected from the community to distribute to students and families
Want to Get Involved
- Donate food and toiletries
- Volunteer (see News You Choose)
- Provide monetary donations and we’ll do the shopping for you. Checks payable to SLHS PTSA are also accepted (please write Food Pantry on the memo line)
- Collect needed pantry items at your next event (birthday party, sporting or arts, scouting event . . . the options are endless)
Contact email@example.com for more information
Items we need the most
- Toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, soap, maxi pads, toothpaste, toothbrushes, deodorant)
- Canned goods (peanut butter, jelly, beans, tomatoes/sauce, applesauce, chili, veggies, tuna/canned meat)
- Box/Dry goods (crackers, cereal, pasta, rice, lentils, boxed milk)
- Cooking oil
- Laundry detergent, dish soap
DROP OFF AT THE MAIN OFFICE DURING SCHOOL HOURS
Need to shop the Pantry?
- The procedure is simple. Any of your teachers or school counselor will get you started, you just have to ask.
Thank you to our fabulous sponsors/partners
- Trader Joe’s Reston
- Herndon Farmers’ Market
- A Simple Gesture
- Food for Neighbors
- Restoration Church
- Good Shepherd Lutheran Church
- Northwest Federal Credit Union Foundation
- The Spice Team
- SLHS teachers, administrators, and students
- SLHS PTSA
- SLHS Class of ’85
- SLHS Class of ’87
- Odin, Feldman & Pittleman
- Aspen Jewelry Design
- Great Falls/Reston Soccer
- Redwood Century 21
- United Christian Parish
- Academy of Christian Education
- Local Girl Scout and Boy Scout Troops
- Delta Dream Foundation/Nats MLB
- Lake Anne Merchants
- Custom Ink
- Dev Technology
- Reston Community Center
- Many individual volunteers and donors
Pantry in the News
- Awarded Best of Reston in 2018
- Featured on Channel 7 WJLA
- Featured in the Reston Connection
- Received Delta Dream Grant
- Featured in Reston Now
- Featured in FCPS School News
- Featured in the Reston Connection
Follow the SLHS Food Pantry